Saturday, January 10, 2009


Jimbo's Top 9 of 2008 #4: Aku's Fairy Tales

Aku's Fairy Tales is an occasional series appearing in Cartoon Network Action Pack where big bad Aku tells children (named after my son and niece) stories that cast Samurai Jack in a very bad light. I took the inspiration for the series from the Samurai Jack cartoon episode of the same name. I thought these pithy irreverent text heavy 4 page strips would break things up a little. The first as way of introducing the strip portrayed Aku as the good guy, but it was the evil dastardly Jack who took all the credit for Aku's heroics. The other two appearing this year riffed on Sleeping Beauty and Jack and the Beanstalk. And all drawn by the fair hand of Ethen Beavers. Oh and in case you're wondering they take me an eternity to write, but hey I'm not complaining (well not all of the time)!

Hell I even got a good review out of it. Comicbookbin writes, "Jim Alexander's Samurai Jack mini-story is a really novel comic fantasy that captures a sly, funny side of the menacing Aku." Couldn't have put it better myself.

No comments: