Thursday, December 31, 2009

Jimbo's Top 9 of 2009 #1: 2012 Final Prayer:Manchester


Another year, another number one. 'Manchester' appears in the quite excellent Bob Heske anthology, which takes its inspiration from the Mayan prediction it'll be the end of the world as we know it (in a couple of years time). Think of the big budget movie 2012 and concept wise it's on similar lines - but please don't let this put you off the book! :-)
The remit for artist Andy Dodd and I was to create an 'end of days' riff, which we set in Manchester basing the main character a little on Morrissey. I'd just read 'I Am Legend' by Richard Matheson and I wanted to integrate into the story elements of the last man alive walking through the deserted streets. I wrote the script, but it's up and coming Andy Dodd's art and lettering that brings the strip alive. I still get one helluva kick out of the last page where we answer the question, "Will it be sudden? Will I die alone? And in Manchester?"
'Manchester' is available in e-preview form. The strip features alongside 'Harkington' by Duncan Eagleson and is well worth a gander. Click on the link below. Once there scroll down a little and click on the pale orange button that says 'launch this myebook now!' Then tell me what you think.

No comments: