Thursday, December 31, 2009

Jimbo's Top 9 of 2009 #2: Samurai Jack:Like Father

I've said it before but the beauty of Samurai Jack is with one story it can be full-out action, another can be comedy, and 'Like Father' published in CN Action Pack #42. A tale from Jack's youth and his first unrequited love Anna. To impress Anna, Jack climbs the tree of wisdom and acrobatically plucks an apple from its branches. Before he can give Anna the apple, though, some older kids beat him up and take it from him. He then faces his father seemingly in disgrace.

"No...," his father says. "They took it from you, yes, but not without a struggle. I see before me not a twisted wrist but determination...I don't see a scrape to the forehead, only courage. Not a black eye, this says to me honor instead. Son, you make me proud. Never forget."

For me 'Like Father' represents what it's all about to write. To see it on the printed page makes all the sweat and tears worth it. Can't explain the sheer joy the comic page can have for one such as I, you either get it or you don't. I'm hoping it's the former! Not for the first time Ethen Beavers does a magnificent job on the art front. He is my man of the year!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Finally got a chance to read this one. I gotta say the ending made me choke up a little. Excellent job.
As a fan of the show since 2002, I appreciate your Samurai Jack stories a lot. You really get Jack. You and Ethen Beavers make a formidable team! Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Jim Alexander said...

Jeepers. Your comments are really appreciated. While DC still want to publish the tall chap I'll do my damnest to write him.